Salmon is a great source of protein, heart-healthy fats, and potassium and is naturally low in sodium and saturated fats. That’s why eating fish (like salmon) two times a week is recommended for heart-healthy diets. Check out the video to see the salmon roasting in action!
Roasting is my new favorite way to cook salmon! It’s easy to prep, and you don’t have to tend to it much once you pop it in the oven. This recipe uses just 1/8 tsp of salt and packs in a lot of extra flavor with the dry rub.
Tip for Defrosting Frozen Salmon
If you are using frozen salmon, defrost it by putting it in the fridge the day before. If you’re short on time, put the salmon in a deep bowl, place it in the sink, and run cold water over it for 10-15 minutes to defrost.
Serve with your favorite whole grain and veggies. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Spice-Rubbed Roasted Salmon
- baking dish
- measuring spoons
For the Salmon
- 1 6 oz wild Alaskan sockeye salmon fillet
- ½ tsp avocado oil
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
For the Dry Rub
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne or 1/16 tsp for less spiciness
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rub the avocado oil evenly over the entire salmon fillet.
- Place the salmon in a baking dish with the skin side down.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the salmon.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, and cayenne. Stir the dry rub until evenly mixed.
- Top the salmon with half of the dry rub. Depending on your preference, you can add as much or as little as you would like. Personally, I use half the dry rub over the salmon and save the other half for another day.
- Once the preheating is done, place the baking dish into the oven.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes.(Note: Check the temperature. The salmon is cooked at 145 degrees F, or when the flesh flakes off easily with a fork. Depending on how thin or thick your fillet is, you may need to subtract or add a few minutes.)
- Take the salmon out of the oven.
- Let the salmon rest for a few minutes.
- Remove the skin, serve, and enjoy!