I wanted to create something similar to an apple crisp or an apple pie but experiment for a heart-healthy version (of course!). Apple crisps and pie tend to use a lot of butter and sugar. So for this recipe, I opted for avocado oil (a great source of both poly- and monounsaturated fats) and brought on the flavor with toasted nuts and cinnamon. The baked apples naturally become sweet and tart in the oven, and the creamy Greek yogurt brings the whole dish together.
This dessert is so delicious! Perfect for cold weather. You can also have it baking during dinner. Nothing like feeling the warmth from the oven and smelling the cinnamon apple baking. It’s an absolute treat after dinner.
While it takes an hour to prepare and bake, it’s effortless to make. Slice up the apple, place them in a ramekin, add avocado oil and cinnamon, and mix it up. I do the mixing in the ramekin, so the oil can also act as grease for the ramekin.
Bake the apple slices at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes.
While the apples are baking, chop the mixed nuts and toast them over a medium-heated pan. Taking the few extra minutes to toast them is absolutely worth it for the flavor profile! Plus, it’s super comforting.
I used a nut mixture I picked up from CostCo. It has unsalted cashews, pistachios, almonds, and pecans. The combination is delish! It carries enough flavor on its own, where I don’t miss the salt. Let’s say…I bought unsalted, plain almonds once and regretted it.
Once the apples are done, top the apples with yogurt and nuts. Give it a minute or two to let the yogurt melt over the delicious apples.
You’re probably wondering…why whole milk Greek yogurt? Shouldn’t it call for fat-free or low-fat yogurt? Whole milk Greek yogurt does have a higher amount of saturated fat, which is why fat-free and low-fat yogurts are always recommended for heart health. Buuuut, for this recipe, I opted for whole milk for flavor since we are already going sugar-free and butter-free. One serving of this dessert (half of the recipe) is just 3 g of saturated fat, which is low!
Creamy Baked Cinnamon Apples
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 red apple thinly sliced
- ½ Tbsp avocado oil
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ oz mixed nuts about a handful, unsalted
- ¼ cup whole milk Greek yogurt plain
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- While the oven preheats, slice the apples and place them in a ramekin.
- Add the avocado oil and cinnamon over the apples and toss until evenly coated.
- When the oven is done preheating, put the ramekin into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the apple slices are baking, heat a small pan over medium heat.
- Chop the nuts and add them to the heated pan.
- Toast the nuts for 3 minutes, then set aside.
- When the apples are done baking after 45 minutes, remove from the oven and top with Greek yogurt and toasted nuts.
- Serve and enjoy!