To be honest, I was never really a fan of oatmeal. But then I saw something interesting on Instagram. People were putting nut butter on it. So I tried it with peanut butter. Let me just say…adding peanut butter was a game-changer. I actually crave oatmeal on the regular now!
I’ve been playing around with different combinations in the last couple of years, and this is, by far, my favorite combination. Using a ripe banana adds sweetness, peanut butter for a nutty flavor and creaminess, and chia seeds enhance the oatmeal texture. Also…thank you cinnamon for the flavor bomb!
With the potassium-rich banana slices, heart-healthy fats from the peanut butter, nutritious fiber from the oats, and omega-3 packed chia seeds, your heart will thank you.
To learn how to shop for heart-healthy peanut butter, check out the 4 Heart-Healthy Tips When Shopping for Peanut Butter blog.
Put together these six simple ingredients and, just 15 minutes later, you have yourself a fast and easy meal. The bowl is packed with flavor thanks to the peanut butter and cinnamon, so salt and sugar were not needed here. Cheers to no sodium and no added sugar! You’ll also find yourself quite full afterward. That’s because there are a whopping 14 grams of fiber. Remember to drink water with your meal!
Banana Peanut Butter Chia Oatmeal
- liquid measuring cup
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup dry old fashioned oats
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter unsalted
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 1 small banana sliced
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Once water is boiling, stir in oats and chia seeds.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, until it reaches your desired consistency.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, slice up your banana.
- Serve the oatmeal in a bowl.
- Top with sliced banana, peanut butter, and cinnamon.